Monday, May 5, 2008

Writers Block...Or somethin'

Well, I'm back from a month of honestly not giving a damn about the BLOG. My apologies to anyone who listens to my rants and raves, it has been a roller coaster of emotions for me lately. Funny thing is, I have been collecting photos and ideas to write about, but as the song goes "my give-a-damn's busted".

April brought not only my birthday, but also my one year anniversary with Schneider.I had promised myself, and more importantly, Linda, my Fiance' that this would be a one year commitment to over the road driving. I have had my CDL since '87, but there aren't many well paying local or regional jobs for someone without over the road experience, hence the OTR job.
The problem is that I really love what I do, at least for now, and don't let anyone kid you, first year pay for truck driving is not great relative to the trucking world. Linda and I have had many conversations about what my next move in life should be, we both agree that more time at home is a must no matter how this happens it HAS to happen for both of our sanities'.
We figure the smart move is for me to stay put for right now. It's a good job with benefits and a solid company. Not every trucking company can say that right now!

Secretly, I'm lusting to drive flatbed for TMC mmmm shiny black Peterbilts!

Secondly, April was, quite honestly, a crappy run for me. I got stuck at a truck stop in Arkansas for three days waiting for a load. No load no pay... Then I got stuck in New Hampshire for a day and a half to deliver a load. Wheels ain't turnin' I ain't earnin'.
A slow economy and trying to get a load home to Maine compounded to kill my miles last month.

Have I mentioned Linda and I are getting married in Oct? $$$$$$$!

The good part of my down time in AK, was a chance to read a fantastic book I received for my birthday "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. It was an Oprah book club recommendation, which made me cringe, but I have honestly taken a lot of information out of it. It is a deeply spiritual book for those so inclined to such reading.

My truck rolled over the 900k mark on the odometer, that was exciting! I wish I had written down the mileage when I first started driving it, but I have driven about 120k miles this year, which is respectable for a first year over the road, I hope to do at least as well this year.

Currently I'm at our OC in West Memphis, Arkansas taking my break for the night. I had walked over to a local Dairy Queen for a Blizzard, and while waiting in line a well dressed middle aged black man was waiting in front of me and we struck up a conversation. (If you haven't heard on the news the National Weather Service recorded 10 tornadoes in AK this weekend) In the usual small talk of strangers he asked me how I was and I asked him the same. He leaned in to me and told me how he had just lost his house and possessions in one of the storms this weekend. His wife had been in the house while it was being destroyed by the storm, but she walked away without a scratch. "So I feel pretty good!" he said to me with a big smile, and a small tear.

That's what finally made me want to sit down and BLOG a little.
Sometimes everything we all do on a daily basis needs to be put into perspective, and this was it for me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess we all need to listen to those around us to know how fortunate we are. That gentleman was able to recognize the value of life over material things. So sorry for all those folks involved in the crazy weather this spring.
Things always look better after the winter snow has melted and run off, so hang in there and enjoy the scenery today.
Love ya,
Mom

MRMacrum said...

Glad you posted. Been checkin up and missin your on the road musings.

Perspectives. It often takes someone else's life to adjust our attitude about our own.

Be careful of wanting flatbed work. It's way different than haulin a box of air. Some of the best pay out there though.

Sheepish Annie said...

Things have a way of coming together. You guys will figure it out, I'm certain. Career and life transitions are never easy. But there is always a clear path once you decide to see it.

I am truly a philosopher. I think it's the low carb diet...

Future SIL said...

WHAT day is our wedding??? I didn't know we changed the date. That is news to me. Just in case any one is wondering the wedding is in NOVEMBER. Sooo close.

Future SIL said...

OOPS...see we all make mistakes. Forgot to sign in as Future Mrs. D.

AdmMike said...

Just like a guy to forget his wedding date! LOL! Hey Sis, I think you better be prepared for his forgetting the old Anniversary too ;)

Just razzing on ya Eric :)

Kelly and I are looking forward to you two getting hitched!

Happy Roads!

Mike
the 'ole fart BIL to be :)