Sunday, August 3, 2008

So Far So Good...


Well. I'm over half way through this run without incident (knock on wood) I am keeping my run time more under control, and am trying not to stress over the lost bonus check. Water under the bridge, so to speak...

I am just finishing up a run that had me in Oklahoma for several days. I can tell you from experience that it is HOT down there right now! It is one thing to be somewhere hot and go inside a building to beat the heat. It is a very different world sitting in an aluminum cab sitting on a blacktop parking lot trying to keep your cool. Although idling the truck is discouraged due to fuel use, big trucks burn about an hour a gallon at idle, I ran the truck for many hours trying to get a good nights sleep. This is a little unproductive for me due to the fact that I don't sleep well with the truck running, but I sleep even worse when I'm in a puddle of my own sweat.

My trip out took me through Joplin, MO again. This time I had a chance to walk around a little bit. I couldn't find a retail type store for the Chrome Shop Mafia, I'm sure there is one, but walking around a lot in 103 degree heat was not my idea of a good time, so I grabbed a photo of their sign. I swear this is the rig they used to "ambush" some of the original Trick My Truck participants.



Joplin is a nightmare to drive in. There are four major chain truckstops, and at least two small local ones with the "Mafia" in the middle of all of it. Everybody and their couzin Cooter are trying to see this place, so there are rv's, semi's, minivans, and cars full of people all trying to occupy the same place at once, kinda like driving in Atlanta or NYC, jeez... Makes me glad to be back near Chicago!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you are in such a hot part of the country, but here it has rained buckets off and on for several days. Lots of thunder storms! Hope to see the sun tomorrow.
Take care,
Mom

Sheepish Annie said...

All good stuff. But you weren't home to check the plate. I can't remember the parent's anniversary if you aren't here to check the plate.

We need a new plan for plate checking. Just sayin'...

MRMacrum said...

I always slept better with the engine idling. What I hated was trying to sleep while the truck was moving. Did way too much of that during my team operation period.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for stoppin by. It was realy great meeting one of the friends I have made in this blogosphere.