Saturday, August 18, 2007

Long Time Gone...

OOPS...









I've been letting this blogging thing get away from me for a while, what with time at home two weeks ago, and not being able to find a good Internet connection for the last week on the road. Anyhoo, time to bring things back up to date, I will do this in one update vs. the multiple updates I did before.









Got back in the ruck on Aug 11, headed to Rumford to pick up paper headed for Newport News VA. I made it through NYC and settled down for the night in my favorite New Jersey rest area. (This is a funny joke, there is nothing in my world that is a favorite anything in Jersey). Headed out the next morning headed for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, when somewhere near Onancock I hear this big BOOM! Looking in my mirror I see that I am throwing pieces of a tire all over the road. Let me tell you, there are some really dumb drivers out there that like to tailgate big trucks. Blowing out a tire and covering them with rubber will back them WAY back! Gee, If only I could do that trick on demand...







Because of my somewhat remote location, when I called the roadside assistance help line, they told me it was going to take a while to get someone out to change the tire.







No, I don't carry a spare.







Three hours later, I was rolling again. Made it to the bridge/tunnel, Paid my $35.00 toll, and headed to my stop. By the time I got there, the receiving dept. had closed for the day, and I got stuck at the port for the night. They were kind enough to let me park and sleep there.





The next morning was beautiful weather, I had an ocean view, and it was a blue sky morning. I got myself up and drove the 50 yds to the loading dock where they got me unloaded, and I was on my way to my next pickup.



After carrying a heavy load of paper for 750 miles, my next load was a pleasure, 1,700 lbs of foam packing. To put this in perspective, I carry more weight in fuel than this whole load weighed! It filled the trailer though.



This load got me to Eatonton GA, a hot place to be right now. I was glad to get this unloaded and move on to another paper mill in Krannert GA. Another big heavy load of paper going to Lexington NC. This trip put me through Atlanta GA. Why is there so much traffic in Atlanta? Day or night, the place is non stop traffic! Sorry, Random Rant...Anyway, I digress...



That was an uneventful trip. Pick it up, drop it off. I'm getting into the mojo of the short trip at this point. 300-500 mile trips are a days drive, They tend to be more physical work than the long hauls where I am sitting behind the wheel, but I'm OK with that. It's not like I'm lifting refrigerators or something!



From Lexington, I headed to Greensboro for a load, and am on my way to WI. I must admit that I am looking forward to some cooler temps, and less humidity. This load is not to be delivered for a couple days, and I'm already 350 miles from Where I need to be, so this may just be a day off for me! One doesn't get too many of these on the road, so I think I will take advantage of a very nice day in the Midwest.

Hey Dad, here is a photo of the antenna mount. Hoping to get the whole setup working today.

4 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Ahhh...the flat tire! So much more exciting when the tires are nice and huuuuuuuge! Glad you got it taken care of and that the rest of the trip has been fairly uneventful. I'd say you were due for an easy run!

"Ah, breaker, Pig Pen, this here's the Duck. And, you wanna back off them hogs? Yeah, 10-4, 'bout five mile or so. Ten, roger. Them hogs is gettin' in-tense up here."

Unknown said...

That mount looks solid. Give me a heads up when you want to try the ham bands. Oscar is still very interested in your travels. He asks me every day where you are. Dad

Unknown said...

Glad that you and the truck were not hurt by the blown tire. It is frightning to be traveling beside one of those BIG ties when they blow. We had that happen one time.
Enjoy the cooler weather. We have yet to reach 70 here today. Wishing you safe traveling and long hauls.
Mom

A. Priscilla said...

Glad to see a new blog. Missed it. Stay safe and cool.

Aunt Priscilla