Sunday, July 22, 2007

hello..hello?? any internet out there?

Boy, finding internet on the road can be a challenge. I have been creating blog entries in Word for the last few days, and have finially found a somewhat stable (and free!) connection. I'll use this for now.


Currently I'm in Ohio. Just dropped a load of water I picked up in TN two days ago. Water is HEAVY! My maximum weight is 80,000 pounds, or 40 tons, when I fueled up, and put this thing on a scale, it was 79,600 pounds.
This can be tricky to get down the road legally. If you have ever looked under the trailer part of a semi, you will see where the rear wheels, called the tandems, can slide forward and back and lock in place with four round pins. Sliding the tandems not only makes this thing managable in, say, New York City, because it shortens the turning radius, but it also shifts the weight around so you don't overload an axle. On a light load this in not rally important, but when the legal weight limit is staring you in the face, one wants to make sure things are set right, or risk a fine from the DOT.


I made it to Wintersville OH with no trouble. Beautifull day here, and I'm glad to have a bunch of miles under my belt early on in the week just in case the wheels fall off driving for the rest of the week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness you are a busy boy. Just finished reading 2 postings. Things sound as though they are going better now. Do you keep a supply of coffee for those early morning starts? Might be a good thing.
Mom

Sheepish Annie said...

Sounds like things are looking up, though! And yes. We are all having a hearty laugh with regard to your early mornings. The mental image is quite entertaining...

Future SIL said...

Even though we talked every night, still like reading your blog. Just one more way to stay connected.

Buckets and Pails.

Susie said...

Hey...your sister sent us here!

I'm in Michigan and over the past 18 years made frequent trips via I75 south to see my WHOLE family who insist on remaining in the south. Of all the states I had to drive on the I75 corridor, Ohio takes the cake as worst. Apparently they've raised the limit for passenger cars, because the last time I drove it, it was 55.

And then there's Georgia, the state that takes 24 hours to get through. With the exciting 16-lane deathtrap through the middle of Atlanta. We got stuck doing 55, bumper to bumper in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic. I'm one of those who likes to obey the speed limit. I had kids in the car. I've never been saluted so many times.

It's going to be interesting to follow you on the road. Annie is right...an online log of your travels has real merit. And you're a pretty good writer too. (Runs in the family?)

Gotcha Blogline'd. Can't wait to see where you're headed next!