Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Maintenance Day

I'm back in PA today, getting a "PM", or a preventative maintenance service done on my truck. Just like your car, one has to keep these things running well, only my oil changes come every 20,000 miles. The service department takes the truck for as long as they need, so I am in a hotel room in Carlisle waiting for he OK to hit the road.



Was in Ohio for the last two days dropping off my NYC load, and picking up some paper to bring to Breinigsville PA. Next stop...back to Ohio by the 18th to move some hardware!



Ohio is commonly known as SLO-HIO in the trucking world. max speed is 55mph for trucks. This is a painfully slow state to drive across, big and flat for the most part. Cars are going about 70 in the passing lane, so the speed differential makes it hard for a big truck to get in the passing lane and pass gram and gramps who are out for a 45mph Sunday drive. This usually causes a quarter mile clog on the highway behind said passing truck. The great thing is that Ohio is big, wide open space, a wonderful place to drive big things.



Heading west on I-70 the other day, I passed a huge car cruise going East. It must have been the HOT ROD power tour or something like it. There must have been 500 old cars heading towards PA. Included in the cruise was the Schneider Ride for Pride, a veteran memorial truck that cruises the country for PR, and also pulls freight just like the rest of the fleet.



http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7a075d8d-3fae-4a1b-ae19-e1250fb2a46f



As I said above, I was headed west and all of this was heading east, so getting a picture of any of this was out of the question. Oh well, maybe next time. Of course, as I was heading east on I-70, I passed Dale Jr.'s nextell fleet, and the Budweiser Clydesdale's heading west!

See you on the road

4 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Happy Maintenance Day! Is there cake involved? Fireworks? Clearly it is a day (or part of a day) off from work so that's good...

Enjoy!

Roadside Manners said...

well...no, actually I have had a little too much time off the last few days. If the wheels don't roll, I don't make money. ooking forward to moving again!

Unknown said...

Glad to know that you will be driving around in a newly serviced truck. Enjoy the shower and a quiet night's sleep.
Hope it won't be too long before your wheels are turning.
Mom

Mrs. Duntley said...

Geez...you leave all the good stuff out....like you getting hit on at the cafeteria or how your AC broke.....stinky. Stories for the future. You know I love you but I am so glad you washed your clothes before you got home. Talk to you later. love you buckets and pails.