Saturday, July 28, 2007

Rolling Thunder

July 27, 2007

Well, this was another interesting day. I have been given a great run, I’m headed from Detroit to Texas. This is around 1200 miles, as I’ve said before, I get paid by the mile so this is a good thing.

I left Detroit early this morning, and all was going well until I got to I-69 south in Indiana, north of Indianapolis. Chatter on the CB was that there had been a bad accident ahead, two motor homes had collided and one of them had rolled on its side in the median. I-69 south was closed. I pull out my handy truck stop guide and find a place to pull over and try to wait it out in a restaurant, not sitting bumper to bumper on a freeway.

I’m feeling awful clever at this point, I’m also listening on the CB to some truckers talking about a detour around this accident. I look up the detour on my atlas and it is a legitimate truck route. You guessed it I went for the detour.

This would have worked out fine, route 13 south to route 36 south to the Indy beltway. 15 miles and I am back on track. That’s when I came upon a house fire than had rt 36 closed. The house was on one side of the road, and the hydrant was on the other side, so the fire dept had to close a four-lane road down to run the water hoses across it.

Eventually, after about 30 minutes of watching this house burn down, a long line of trucks had collected behind me. It would be safe to say I wasn’t the only one listening to this “shortcut” on the CB!

A cop came over and got us all backed up and turned down a different route. Things would normally be OK at this point, but I-70 is closed in Indianapolis, and there is a NASCAR race in town this weekend. Traffic is a nightmare and the 465 beltway was bumper to bumper. Grrrrrrr

I got to the closest rest area, and called it a day. Only a 269 mile day, but a day.

Did I mentioned this all happened in the pouring rain?

I need a nap.

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Let's see, at about that time, I was snarfing down a burger at Casco Day and waiting for a nice parade...I also need a nap, but it's more from the french fries than the traffic. Better luck tomorrow!

"I says, 'Callin' all trucks, this here's the Duck. We about to go a-huntin' bear.'"

Unknown said...

Well soon you will be on the friendly roads of home. Just think, only tourists and natives live here. Driving can be fun, but just hope you experience no more fire hoses across the road.
Happy traveling,
Mom

5elementknitr said...

You need your sis to teach you to knit so you can have something to do while you're stuck in these situations! Bummer!