Thursday, December 13, 2007

Along came a Schneider

I'm back in the truck again, for as much as I trust the work the shops do to the truck, I always do a good once over to make sure they didn't forget to do something. Looks like they did a filter change, everything except the air filter, which seems odd to me. I see lots of new grease on the fittings, which is a good sign. Overall, things look good. I did go back and pickup some new wiper blades. They asked me if I wanted them installed, I said I think I can handle installing them myself, which I did.

Seeing how backed up the shop is, I'm sure a wiper blade change would take them about five hours.

I don't know where I'm going next, I have made myself available tomorrow morning at 5am in the computer. The worst part about getting the truck back in the late afternoon is wanting to get back to work right now and drive for 10-11 hours. "wheels are turnin' driver is earnin'". The problem is that will set me up for night driving for many days. This is not appealing to me, especially this time of year when the days are short. I will start my day early tomorrow morning, and keep to a daytime drive schedule.

Doing some quick math on my down time for repairs on the truck for the last seven month I have had it shows I have lost seven drive days sitting hotels and operating centers. When you figure and average drive week for me is around 2700 miles, that is roughly a grand in income lost to maintenance issues. I do hope that I have seen the last of the wrench turners for a while!

As always, it is nice to spend some time in a hotel room where I have some room to stretch, and take a few long hot showers, but I'm beginning to understand the downside to a high mileage truck.

Can't wait to see where the road takes me next!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you have the truck back. We are getting snow here this afternoon. Dad and I went out to get lunch today around noon, and there was no snow, but it has been falling since around 2:00. Glad we can stay home.
Take care and have a good run for the rest of your time out there.
Mom

Sheepish Annie said...

Better to have a working truck and a little down time than a downed truck. Besides, wherever you are is better than here. We seem to be getting a little bit of snow...

I think a white Christmas is a certainty this year!