Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OK,OK, I'm not dead...honestly




Wow, it's been a while since I have updated here, my bad...




I'm sitting in a hotel room in Dallas, TX watching it rain outside. Got a little Michael Buble' playing in the background, and am glad not to be in the ice and snow that is covering most of the country right now. My tractor needed it's annual vehicle inspection, basically a new inspection sticker, and another oil change. It's hard to believe I have put over 70k on that rig since last April!




I was in San Antonio yesterday delivering calcium to a chemical plant, and got the word that freight was a little soft, so I ended up deadheading, delivering an empty trailer, to the Dallas Schneider operating center. I get paid for those miles just like a regular load, so I had a 250 mile cruise up I-35. I was in no rush, so I set the cruise around 60mph and boosted my avg MPG up a little bit. I don't make any extra bonus for doing this, but I do enjoy making my numbers look good. My average MPG is showing a very respectable 6.6 mpg for my last 3000 miles. No kidding, this is really good, seeing as though all my loads have been over 40,000 lbs!

I was supposed to be heading to Arkansas today, but after one look at the weather, I decided truck maintenance looked like a fantastic idea. I'll sleep through this storm in a company paid hotel room.
I did one run last month I found cool. I delivered an old worn out trailer to a shredding yard in Chicago. They shred the trailers and recycle the steel. Now, I work with some big equipment, but this stuff was mammoth. They had one machine that would pick up the trailer, flip it over and pull the axles out from under it then stack the boxes for "processing". These people are smart enough to save the wheels and tires for resale later. Everything else gets recycled. Scary place to spend a night in Chicago I'm sure.


Hoffa could be in there...?




I have been running hard these last three months, good for the paycheck, and a pace I'm getting used to, drive 10-11 hrs, and take a 10 hr break. That usually consists of 8 hrs sleep 1 hr to eat, and 1 hr to call home. Just a little tight on the BLOG time, but now that I have my laptop back from the kind people in Canada, I should be able to speed up the posts.
Be safe out there!


5 comments:

Mrs. Duntley said...

I really knew you weren't dead, but there have been times that I thought you were rolled over in a ditch somewhere cuz you were late in calling. But you would always call. I am such a worry wart. See you soon. Love ya.

Sheepish Annie said...

It keeps snowing...why does it keep snowing??? You really should come back here and take a look at it.

Good to hear from you and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back in blog land. Stay safe and dry.

Aunt Priscilla

Unknown said...

Glad to know that you were safe and dry in a warm motel room last night. This weather has been crazy. Two more chances for snow here this week. Will need to clear driveway again this morning.
Stay safe, enjoy having the laptop back, and keep alert.
Mom

Army_Wifey08 said...

I was beginning to worry that you had driving off the edge of the world....Well it's cold here and I can't wait to come home to even colder weather!